Artifact Showcase

The Museum of the Confederacy uses the Zoomify feature to allow site visitors to examine high resolution photographs of select artifacts in the Collection. Click on any of the images below and zoomify in to see these items as if you were peering at them through a magnifying glass!

Robert E. Lee's Sword

This presentation sword, that was made by Devisme in Paris and came through the blockade, was given to Gen. Robert E. Lee in 1863 by an anonymous Marylander. The motto inscribed on the reverse blade, "Aide toi et dieu l'aidera," translates to “Help yourself and God will help you.” Lee wore this sword to the surrender meeting at the McLean House in Appomattox on April 9, 1865. Originally lent to the Museum by Lee family descendants in 1918, the loan was converted into a gift in 1979.

General Lee's magnificent sword is a centerpiece of the exhibits at Appomattox. Plan your visit today.

Varina Davis's Butterfly Quilt

The former First Lady of the Confederacy made this symbolic memorial quilt in the years following the Civil War. Silk, velvet, and chenille were used to create the elaborate foliage, while satin was used to make the flags and shield. The quilt was donated to the Museum by the Davis' granddaughter in 1925.

Alfred M. Goodwin Jr.'s Shell Jacket

This single-breasted wool jacket was made in Limerick, Ireland, by Peter Tait. The original buttons were replaced at some point with Virginia State Seal buttons made by Richmond manufacturer Mitchell & Tyler. It was issued to Goodwin, who enlisted in early 1863 as a private in Sturdivant's Battery Virginia Artillery. He donated his entire Confederate uniform to the Museum in 1922

The Flag of Sumter Oct. 20 1863" by Conrad Wise Chapman

This oil-on-board painting depicts a Confederate Second National flag flying over Fort Sumter, with Morris Island and the blockading Union fleet off the South Carolina coast. Chapman made a series of sketches of Charleston's wartime defenses, and created 31 paintings in 1864. The entire set was purchased for the Museum in 1898.

Crenshaw China from the White House of the Confederacy

This elaborate teaset was owned and used by Lewis Crenshaw, the wealthy Richmond flour manufacturer. Crenshaw owned the house that would become known as the White House of the Confederacy. He sold the house and its contents to the Confederate government for use as the executive mansion in 1861. This teaset was made by Samuel Alcock & Co. of England between 1843 and 1859. The china was donated to the Museum by Crenshaw family descendents.

J.E.B. Stuart's Saber and Scabbard

Gen. Stuart purchased this model 1860 U. S. Officer's Light Cavalry saber with leather-covered steel scabbard in 1860. It was made in France by Devisme, and carried by Stuart during the Civil War. The saber and scabbard were donated to the Museum by Stuart family descendents.

P.G.T. Beauregard's LeMat Revolver

This unique sidearm is an Army model LeMat Grapeshot Revolver. It features both a 9-shot cylinder and a 16-guage under-barrel shotgun. It is inscribed, "To General P.G.T. Beauregard, C.S.A." It was presented to Beauregard by LeMat, who was both the gun's manufacturer and Beauregard's cousin.

Marcellus Pointer's Binoculars

Col. Pointer of the 12th Alabama Cavalry used these binoculars, also known as field glasses. They are made of enameled black brass with red rubber rings around each of the lenses.  The manufacturer's name is visible around the eyepieces: "Lerebours & Secretan / Paris". They were donated by his granddaughter in 1941.

Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's Forage Cap

Gen. Jackson famously wore this cap during the Civil War. It is an infantry officer's forage cap, made of wool with a leather brim and brass buttons.

Texas State Button

This brass Texas Star button was taken from the uniform of Gen. John Bell Hood. The word "T.E.X.A.S." is spelled out between star points. It was made in New Orleans, Louisiana, by Hyde & Goodrich. 

41st Georgia Infantry Flag

This Army of Tennessee pattern battle flag was issued to the unit in 1864 and believed carried until its surrender at Greensboro, North Carolina, April 1865. It was found in Yonkers, New York, by the United Daughters of the Confederacy and given to the Museum in 1935. Its conservation in 2009 was funded by major contributor Martin Tant along with other generous donors.