Become a Member!
Support the Museum by becoming a member today!
Approximately 30% percent of the estimated 900,000 men who served in the Confederate army died in service; the other 70% returned home to their families and the rest of their lives. The “Boys in Gray” became the gray old men who rebuilt the South, dominated Southern society, business, and politics for the ensuing half-century, and commemorated their fallen comrades and heroes and the cause for which they fought. “When Johnny Came Marching Home” uses the Museum of the Confederacy’s rich collection of objects, photographs, and documents to tell the story of Confederate veterans in the postwar South – of the veterans organizations that flourished, but also poignant stories of individual men maimed by war and others who survived into the mid-20th century to become the “living monuments” of the War. Highlights include a rare full uniform of the United Confederate Veterans, ceremonial punch bowls from an early Blue-Gray “fraternal visit,” the camp flag and publications from the Confederate Veterans Camp of New York, and doll furniture crafted by “inmates” at the Lee Camp Soldiers Home in Richmond.