5th Virginia Cavalry, Co. A, Princess Anne Cavalry. This silk flag, with a portrait of Liberty on both sides was made by the Ladies Aid Society of the London Bridge Church, and presented to the unit in April 1861. From the Museum of the Confederacy Flag Collection. Postcard measures 4 x 6.
43rd Battalion Virginia Cavalry, Mosby's Rangers. This First National pattern flag, called the Stars and Bars, was made and presented to the unit in 1863 by the Ladies of Fauquier, Loudoun and Fairfax Counties, Virginia. It was carried until the end of the war. From the Museum of the Confederacy Flag Collection. Postcard measures 4 x 6.
4th Virginia Cavalry, Co. E, Powhatan Troop (Pocahontas Side of Flag). This silk Virginia state flag, with a portrait of Pocahontas on one side, was presented to the unit by the Ladies of Powhatan County, Virginia, in June 1860. From the Museum of the Confederacy Flag Collection. Postcard measures 4 x 6.
The Museum's Reunification Promenade features the modern flags of the 11 Confederate states in the order of their secession in addition to Missouri, Kentucky, and Maryland, which contributed thousands of men to Confederate military forces.
General Robert E. Lee wore this uniform frock coat to the surrender at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865. His staff officers described Lee at Appomattox as dressed in his neatest style, new uniform, snowy linen, etc. The coat is displayed with Lee's gauntlets and the pen with which he signed the terms of surrender.
The presentation sword General Robert E. Lee wore to the surrender at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865 was a gift from an anonymous Marylander in 1863. The motto inscribed on the blade, Aide toi et dieu l'aidera, translates to Help yourself and God will help you. Lee also wore the sword when he posed for a full-length portrait in the Richmond studio of Julian Vannerson in 1864.
The Museum of the Confederacy-Appomattox showcases an unparalleled collection to tell the stories of the Civil War. Using original artifacts and documents, as well as audio and interactive displays, the visitor is led from the outbreak of war to the surrender of Robert E. Lee and his army at Appomattox and into the years of reconstruction and beyond. The Museum is located at the intersection of US 460 and State Route 24.
Headquarters Flag of General Robert E. Lee. This First National pattern flag was made by Lee's wife, Mary Custis, and his daughters. It was used from June 1862 through Summer 1863. From the Museum of the Confederacy Flag Collection. Postcard measures 4 x 6.